Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 9
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 626 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Memory preferences preventing download (resolved)

On 3 of 5 machines I'm getting the error listed below with similar numbers in each case - the bigger number is identical in each case;-

08/08/2007 19:00:00|World Community Grid|[file_xfer] Finished upload of file faah2041_d235n036_x2AZC_00_2_1
08/08/2007 19:00:00|World Community Grid|[file_xfer] Throughput 2355 bytes/sec
08/08/2007 19:00:11|World Community Grid|Sending scheduler request: To report completed tasks
08/08/2007 19:00:11|World Community Grid|Requesting 25920 seconds of new work, and reporting 2 completed tasks
08/08/2007 19:00:31|World Community Grid|Scheduler RPC succeeded [server version 509]
08/08/2007 19:00:31|World Community Grid|Message from server: No work could be sent.
08/08/2007 19:00:31|World Community Grid|Message from server: Your preferences limit memory usage to 143.62MB, and a job requires 190.73MB

Please tell me how I can correct the dodgey preferences because when I change them the numbers remain unchanged. Seems to be a problem at the server end.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 9, 2007 1:25:10 AM]
[Aug 8, 2007 6:28:04 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Disk space preferences preventing download

Please read it carefully: Your preferences limit memory.

How much memory do you have?
[Aug 8, 2007 6:52:09 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Alternating a website device profile between "Minimum Impact" and "Custom" shows the limitation is automatically set to 75%

Use no more than: 75 % of total memory

That is free ram! Rather tight on e.g. 256mb.
WCG Global & Research > Make Proposal Help: Start Here!
Please help to make the Forums an enjoyable experience for All!
[Aug 8, 2007 7:05:12 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

seabrookb,
Since you use Boinc's local preferences you should check the "Memory usage" parameters and make sure that the percentage(s) you are entering allows enough RAM for doing the job. If you have problems doing so please say which version of Boinc you are using since this is an area which is much version dependent.

Also, now that your problem is clearly identified it would help future forum readers if you edit the title of your initial post to replace "Disk space" by "Memory usage".

Cheers. Jean.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Aug 8, 2007 10:10:35 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

version 5.8.15 straight face

For readers wanting to know the actual specific fix, it was to first recognise that;-
a) BOINC seems to look at RAM usage at the exact moment when the download is requested.
b) In the local pref's there is no RAM usage preference so one
has to fall back on the device preference specified on the
website.

Then take this action;-
1) At wcgrid website;
in My-Grid-->Device-Manager-->Selected-Profile(for device)
select 'Maximum Output' option',
click 'save'. Caution this will effect all devices associated with
that profile.
2) On Taskbar and at TaskManager;
Just Before attempting a download (from the update button in
Boinc Managers projects tab);-
Close non essential applications and services. And remember
if you use task-manager to close processes:
then close task manager itself before the download.
I was able to close avg*.exe(antivirus) guard.exe(avg antispyware)
via taskmanager, plus messenger and AVG manager from taskbar.
3) Reduce garphics shared memory from 32Mb to 16Mb (min allowed)
from BIOS setup menu reached by hitting DEL key on reboot -
on my device.

Only the combination of all 3 did the trick.

This is safe because also up to 600Mb of virtual memory is available to the system for times of peak RAM usage, and most of the devices are not used for other RAM hungry apps most of the the time.
(RAM=Random Access Memory)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 9, 2007 1:44:42 AM]
[Aug 8, 2007 11:13:38 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher

Hi seabrookb,

Can you tell, rather confirm that your resolution was based on 256mb physical RAM?

16mb shared Video is rather tight. Did you try to select a work unit in the BOINCmgr and hit the Graphics button left margin. Do they show fine?

Suggest you confirm that the "Leave applications in memory while preempted?" option is set to "No". This ensures that if the computer is needed for other purposes, BOINC will unload as much as it can to disk. This is on 5.8 and higher save, without loosing computing time in case of snoozing or benchmarking e.g. The option is by default in the "Minimum Impact" profile set to No, but in the "Maximum Output" profile set to Yes. Visit Custom Profile in latter case to set it to No and save.

We don't know what the new memory requirements are for the FA@H update, but the lesser or tighter the RAM, the more RAM to Virtual Memory (Swapfile) i/o will take place, making actual use of these computer for other than crunching less friendly. Disk i/o tends to slow everything down.

Long as we know and accept possible user impairment on these small memory systems, things are fine.
[Aug 9, 2007 3:53:16 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
JmBoullier
Former Community Advisor
Normandy - France
Project Badges:

@seabrookb
version 5.8.15
In the local pref's there is no RAM usage preference

That's why I asked. smile
I am currently on 5.10.13 (not recommended by WCG) and it has memory usage in the local preferences... Let's hope that the current 5.10.18 beta will be the good one.

If someone ever says that you are not motivated for Distributed Computing s/he will only show that s/he has not read your post or that s/he is a liar! smile

@sekerob

Did you try to select a work unit in the BOINCmgr and hit the Graphics button left margin. Do they show fine?

Is it just plain curiosity or are you thinking it is reasonable to display graphics after having been obliged to close everything around? smile

Cheers. Jean.
Team--> Decrypthon -->Statistics/Join -->Thread
[Aug 9, 2007 6:34:04 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Sekerob
Ace Cruncher
Re: Memory preferences preventing download

@sekerob
Is it just plain curiosity or are you thinking it is reasonable to display graphics after having been obliged to close everything around?smile

Cheers. Jean.

Neither, it is a point to know if 16mb video still allows for the science graphics to show in case the next member comes around bringing message of messed up display or even crashing.
[Aug 9, 2007 7:03:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Can you tell, rather confirm that your resolution was based on 256mb physical RAM?
yes - thankyou for pointing that out.

16mb shared Video is rather tight.

I also reduce XP's DisplayProperties-->Settings-->ColorQuality from 32bit to 16bit - which is still 65536 colours per pixel - more than adequate!!
..Did you try to select a work unit in the BOINCmgr and hit the Graphics button left margin. Do they show fine?

No Change. i.e perfect with FA@H, Perfectly stable and robust with HPF2 meaning all numbers are displayed OK - however I've always had the proteome picture area blank lot of the time, I think the proteome molecule does appear If graphics is left on display long enough, but I'm happy with the simple view slideshow. As long as it contributes.

Suggest you confirm that the "Leave applications in memory while preempted?" option is set to "No". .... in the "Maximum Output" profile set to Yes. Visit Custom Profile in latter case to set it to No and save.
--- I didnt know that -- thanks for that helpful tip I will do that.

Long as we know and accept possible user impairment on these small memory systems, things are fine.
Yes - fine thanks, I had forgotten about RAM and its effect on the perfomance of the computer because of the talk about lo priority processes giving way to normal proirity processes. Also when I had the problem -- as with all problems -- it happened at an akward busy time just before setting off to work which is partly why the meaning of some of the memory usage parameters was misread in a hurry. I prefer not to leave the machine idle for whole days.
[Aug 10, 2007 11:53:59 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread