Index  | Recent Threads  | Unanswered Threads  | Who's Active  | Guidelines  | Search

Quick Go »
No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 6
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 737 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Former Member
Cruncher
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
smile Project prioritization

Right now, we can select which projects we accept work units from, but it would be nice if we could allocate or prioritize the projects by percentage. For example, I accept work units from all projects, but I would prefer if 50% of the work units were from Help Fight Childhood Cancer and then World Community Grid can allocate the other 50% based on how it sees fit. On-the-other-hand, I might want to be able to distribute in discrete percentage units to each project, e.g. 95% to beta testing to ensure I get at least one work unit, the 1% to my next five highest priority projects; however, I would be elated with even minimal allocation flexibility.

Please consider this as a feature request. Thank you.
nerd idea
[Aug 8, 2009 6:51:10 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher
Re: Project prioritization

----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Former Member at Aug 8, 2009 9:51:00 AM]
[Aug 8, 2009 9:50:13 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

It is too bad about the duplicate threads, but it is a side effect of not looking and/or finding beforehand. Scribe found them.

BOINC has four device profiles: default, school, home, work. With two computers, assigned to different profiles with different project selection in each, it is possible to dedicate one to a project and let the other run anything. I have that problem with one computer that is cranky, so it runs rice, while the other two computers can have a wider variety of different setups.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Edit 1 times, last edit by retsof at Aug 8, 2009 11:32:07 AM]
[Aug 8, 2009 11:31:01 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

If there was prioritization option for the projects, beta wouldn't get any. It already has a higher priority than any other project.
[Aug 8, 2009 11:15:29 PM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
retsof
Former Community Advisor
USA
Project Badges:

If there was prioritization option for the projects, beta wouldn't get any. It already has a higher priority than any other project.
I doubt whether that would change, since it needs to be higher to accomplish anything. Beta is run not from the project area but from a different selection area merely saying whether you want them or not. As a rule there aren't that many anyway. The ones that are released tend to get sucked up quickly.
SUPPORT ADVISOR
Work+GPU i7 8700 12threads
School i7 4770 8threads
Default+GPU Ryzen 7 3700X 16threads
Ryzen 7 3800X 16 threads
Ryzen 9 3900X 24threads
Home i7 3540M 4threads50%
[Aug 9, 2009 12:21:30 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Former Member
Cruncher

Scribe,

When I cannot find a topic that I want information on, I ask politely for the information. I am glad you are adept at finding information in the forum; with 1900 posts, I expect you to know it a lot better than I do or want to. Up to yesterday, I just volunteered my computing resources and did my best to stay out of the forums, which is where I am headed now.
beat up
[Aug 9, 2009 4:28:55 AM]   Link   Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread